Chapter 21 Detached Living Key Verses:
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21 ESV
Are you wholly attached to Christ or is He just "a piece of the pie"? Read Chapter 21: Detached Living
1. In what ways have you tried to make Jesus part of your life pie, instead of Him being the entire pie?
2. When you look at your life, how have you resembled the seed sown among the thorns, letting the worries of the world, the deceitfulness of riches and the desires for other things crowd out God?
3. How are these ways of living (from #2) antithetical to living the reality of Christ in you?
4. Ask God what aspects of your life He says subtract from true life, rather than add to it?
5. How might God be calling you to reorient your life, so that “Christ in you” is a lifestyle, not just another piece of the pie? What in your life, from God’s perspective, may not be necessary?
6. If we truly give ourselves to our passion, what does our life as we currently live it say about what our passion is? How can we make God more our passion?
7. How does Dan define detached living (bottom of page 217 and top of page 218)? How did Christ’s life demonstrate detached living?
8. What struck you about what Dan said about the desert fathers?
9. At this point in your walk, how could you press right in on Jesus? What would that look like?