You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself. Luke 10:27 ESV
Who is my point of reference, God or myself?
Read CHAPTER 24: LOVING GOD
1. What did the story Dan told about his daily experience in South Carolina have to do with loving God?
2. Your life is probably quite different than Dan’s was then. Nevertheless, what might God want to say to you through Dan’s experience?
3. What does it mean to love God in the way that He loves us? How might that look in your life?
4. What does the fact that God has already poured His love into our hearts (Rom. 5:5) have to do with loving Him back?
5. What role might suffering play in this process of purifying our love for God? How has God used suffering in your life this way already?
6. How would it change our lives if our main objective was simply to love God?
7. Write a summary statement about God, the One who loves. How does keeping the object of our love in constant focus affect our love toward that person? What does that mean for you personally?