Dear Book Club friends,This week we will be reading and studying chapters 7 (The Swing). At the end of the week, we will post a summary of section 1: Union with Christ. What a glorious mystery is this mystical union of Christ with us His loved ones! Thank you for following along in amazement with us!
Chapter 6The Swing
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 NIV
What is the difference between soul and spirit?
Read chapter 6 and answer the following:
1. What is the difference between soul and spirit? Why is the difference important to how you live as a Christian?
2. Why has God given you a soul? What is it designed to do? What is it not designed to do?
3. What is a typical example in your life of living out of your fluctuating feelings? What is the usual result? In this example, what would it look like for you to live out of your spirit instead?
4. In what sense are your temporary thoughts and feelings not the deepest you? If you believe they are the deepest you, what will you conclude and how will you likely live?
5. Describe how the Swing helps you better understand your identity in Christ, why the Christian life can be a struggle, and how to live by faith in Christ in you and rest in Him.
6. How are the fluctuations of your soul necessary in God’s training of you (p. 73)?
7. Do you experience self-condemnation because of feelings or thoughts you have? What is an example? What does God say about that (see Romans 8:1, 33-34)?
8. In what way can you relate to the story of Elijah? What did God say to you through the story?