Chapter 15 God's Process of Growth Key Verses:
I am writing to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven for his name's sake. I am writing to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, children, because you know the Father. I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one. 1 John 2: 12-14 ESV
What is Christian growth?
Read chapter 15 and answer the following:
1. Have you been tempted to believe that Christian growth occurs in only one certain How did that look to you?
2. What was the result of trying to put a box around God’s process in you?
3. Dan talks about three stages of growth from First John 2:12-14. What did God say to you through this description about God’s process of growth?
4. What does it mean to you that “God takes us in love” (p. 168)? What is God saying to you through that statement right now?
5. Think of two or three difficult circumstances in your life right now. Have you accepted that God is working on you to your benefit in each of these, or are you resisting God’s work? How does He want you to respond to Him in each circumstance?
6. Is there a contradiction between Christ living in us, as us, and Dan’s call to obedience on page 168? Why not?
7. Are there any areas in which God is calling you to be a responder to Him, to be obedient? If you have not yet responded, what has that done to your windowpane?
8. On pages 169 and 170, Dan says that God causes us to grow as He “uses the storms in the soul” to drive us to a place of inner rest. In what areas of your life are you not at rest? How is God telling you to respond to Him in those areas?
9. In what ways is your soul still turned outward, its attention on the body and the world? Is there an area or two in which you hear the wooing of God back to Him? What would it look like for you to respond to His wooing?